Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reflection #4: Buddhist Meditation

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #4: Buddhist Meditation: "Spend 20 mintues in a silent meditation; a place you won't be disturbed, your own 'fig tree' as was Buddha's inspiration. In those 20 mintue..."

Trying to sit still and trying to minimize all distractions around me was a lot harder than I thought it would be. For twenty minutes I sat at my desk chair, with my bedroom door closed to try and concentrate on meditating. When I thought about how I could attain "right thoughts", I thought about the people who gave up almost everything they had to try and follow all of the right steps. Just thinking about discarding everything I own made me realize how much these people gave up to achieve nirvana. I didnt exactly have the "right concentration", because even though I was alone and in a quiet space, I distracted myself from concentrating by concentrating too much on things that didn't even relate to this assignment. I found it hard to control my mind to stay focused on only one topic at a time without wandering off. I didn't really have any kind of inspiration, because I wasn't able to stay focused 80% of the time, but what I learned was that meditation is really time consuming, and only really works when you are willing to concentrate and let yourself relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment